General view of Wilbur Myers testing large-scale cracking and dehydrogenation processes on an apparatus in the Dow Chemical Company's Plastics Production Laboratory. Established in 1953 as an outgrowth of Dow's Physical Research Laboratory, the Plastics Production Laboratory was devoted to improving plastic processes and products. The facility boasted laboratory areas dedicated to research in physical chemistry, catalytic and high temperature reactions, physical development, small scale polymers and co-polymers, high polymer studies, purification methods, and instrumentation, as well a semi-plant area.
General view of photographer Dick Anderson testing the lighting for a photo shoot in the Dow Chemical Company's Photographic Laboratory. Established in the 1930's, the Photo Lab took pictures for employee publications like The Brine Well and Dow Diamond, as well as for newspaper and magazine releases sent out by Dow's Editorial Service and Advertising Department.
General view of key punch operators transcribing written data into tabulating cards in the Tabulating Department at the Dow Chemical Company facilities located in Midland, Michigan. The operators are identified as follows (front to back): Ilene Allen; Janet Dyer; Jesse Haven; Marion McFadden; and Margaret Preznowiak. Per an article in the December 16, 1947 edition of The Brine Well, the Tabulating Department leased fifty-two machines from IBM to automatically transcribe, reproduce, and calculate data for a range of uses, including inventory control, material distribution, personnel records and statistics, payroll, sales analysis, and product usage.