Glass negative showing a close view of Marriott C. Morris' sister Elizabeth Canby Morris and Pattie Mellor sitting next to each other in front of the Deshler-Morris House. Mellor on the right wears a hat decorated with flowers and a dark coat and turns her head toward Morris who looks toward the camera. Morris wears a cloth hat and light coat. She has a small, black dog in her lap. The Deshler-Morris House's large windows are visible in the background. David Deshler built the original four-room summer cottage on this Germantown lot in 1752, adding the three-story front addition in 1772. The house was sold to Col. Isaac Franks in 1792 after Deshler’s death. President George Washington rented the home for the duration of the yellow fever epidemic of 1793 and the summer of 1794. Elliston and John Perot purchased the house in 1804, selling it to Elliston’s son-in-law Samuel B. Morris after his death in 1834. The house stayed in the possession of the Morris family for over a century, when Elliston P. Morris donated the house to the National Parks Service in 1948. The name was officially changed to the Germantown White House in 2009.; Forms part of Marriott C. Morris Collection.
Film negative showing a group walking through a large courtyard in Harrisburg. Two women wearing hats decorated with flowers and feathers walk on the left and two boys wearing coats and caps walk on the right. A four-story building with pillars and a railing along the roof stands behind them.; Title supplied by cataloger.; Forms part of Marriott C. Morris Collection.
Photograph showing Marriott C. Morris' parents Elliston Perot Morris and Martha Canby Morris, son Elliston Perot Morris Jr., and wife Jane Rhoads Morris and sitting in a rowboat on the beach. The women wear black jackets and decorated hats. Elliston Morris Sr. wears a long jacket and hat. Elliston Morris Jr. wears a light jacket and wide-brimmed hat. A covered boardwalk stands in the sand behind the group.; Forms part of Marriott C. Morris Collection.
Shoulder-length portrait of Mrs. Farnham in profile, wearing eyeglasses.; In The American phrenological journal, vol. 25 (June, 1857), p. 133.; Mrs. Eliza Farnham was an author, a prison matron at Sing Sing, and a feminist reformer. She was a champion of phrenology and assisted Marmaduke Sampson in illustrating the phrenologically-based Rationale of crime (New York, 1857) by providing him with subjects from Sing Sing.; “Fig. 8 shows great vigor and compass of thought, ability to grasp and conquer subjects requiring steady logical power, yet the two points referred to, though they show the chief differences between the two, are not the only strong points of the portrait under consideration. The head rises high, and is long and broad on the top, showing strong moral sentiment, firmness and dignity combined with prudence, taste, and the qualities which give refinement, elevation, and purity of mind. She is one of the strongest female thinkers and writers in America ; and in officiating as matron of the State Prison at Sing Sing for several years, and also in many other spheres of action, she has shown her stamina of character and strength of mind. The perceptive organs are not large enough for a good balance of intellect.”--P. 133.; Another portrait appears in: Phrenological and physiological almanac, for 1849 (New York, 1848), p. 31.
Image of several students engaging in archery near the Senior Row on Merion Green. Six students can be seen holding bows and some with arrows. They targets are not visible. Senior Row can be seen in the background.