Westinghouse High School was named for the noted inventor and manufacturer, George Westinghouse, whose home was in the vicinity of the school. The school, located at 1101 North Murtland Avenue, was completed in 1924. In 1932 an annex was built. Architects Ingham and Boyd designed both the original building and the annex. The forerunner of Westinghouse High School was the Brushton High School, which was organized in September 1912. The school remained in the Baxter Building until 1923 when it was transferred to the present site and its name was changed to Westinghouse. One of the entrances to the newer part of the school is a memorial to the boys of Westinghouse High School who lost their lives in World War I. The school serves the East Liberty and Homewood-Brushton sections of Pittsburgh.
Lincoln School, located at 328 Lincoln Avenue, honors the name of Abraham Lincoln. The first Lincoln School was built in 1869. In 1883 wings were added to the sides of the building and in 1892 an adjoining frame structure was built to house the high school students. In 1922 Lincoln was reorganized as an elementary school. The present Lincoln School, designed by architects Thomas Pringle and Oliver J. Robling, was built in 1931. Lincoln School serves students in the Lincoln-Larimer and East Liberty neighborhoods of Pittsburgh.
Description of the photograph reads, “Volunteer groups augment the number of field trips taken by children. The Junior League of Pittsburgh takes a group to a concert.” The Junior League of Pittsburgh, located at 1620 Murray Avenue, is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is entirely educational and charitable.
Chatham Elementary School was located at 227 Bonvue Street in Pittsburgh’s Perry North neighborhood. Chatham School was built in 1923 to replace Perry School, which had been built two years prior replacing earlier Chatham schools. Perry School then became a middle school, a high school, and finally the present Perry Traditional Academy.
The Public Safety Building of the City of Pittsburgh, built on the site that was once occupied by the offices of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. The new building, intended as an adjunct to the City-County Office Building a block away on Grant Street, was built to house municipal courts and police administrative offices. Across the river in the left background are the warehouses on the grounds of the old Pennsylvania, Lake Erie Railroad, which would become Station Square, a popular shopping and nightlife center on the South Side.
The Carnegie Museum and Library complex in Oakland as seen from the nearby Cathedral of Learning. The original building housing the natural history museum, art gallery, music hall, and library was constructed from 1891-1895 with a grant from Andrew Carnegie. This photograph also shows the Sarah M. Scaife Gallery under construction (left background) to the left of the main building along Forbes Avenue. The architect of this addition that opened in 1974 was Edward Larrabee Barnes and the builder was Turner Construction Company. The addition was funded by a gift of the Sarah Mellon Scaife Foundation and the Scaife family.
Inside a six-block area bounded by Liberty Avenue, Fancourt and Stanwix Streets and Duquesne Way, 40 buildings were demolished to make way for the $50 million Gateway Center Project that included three 20-story office buildings. The largest structure to fall to the wrecking ball was the Mayfair Hotel (left). A 75-man wrecking crew was responsible for clearing the area. This marked the beginning of Pittsburgh’s Renaissance.
The Liberty Tunnels, or the “Liberty Tubes” as they are known locally, were built in 1924. The Tunnels which have a total length of 5889 feet, helped alleviate the problem of motorists going over or around Mount Washington to get to the South Hills suburb of Pittsburgh. The boring was completed in July 1922. By January 1924 the tunnels were substantially complete and opened to traffic. Officers counted the number of vehicles entering and the hours of use were limited to keep the exhaust gases from building to dangerous levels. In 1928 a mechanical plant with four tall stacks was built over the center of the Tubes to draw exhaust and provide a constant supply of fresh air. Four years after the completion of the Tubes, the Liberty Bridge was completed, opening on March 27, 1928. The Tubes carried approximately 25,000 vehicles in 1932 and in 2000 the daily average traffic was 63,027 vehicles.
A polluted Chartiers Creek directly behind the Federal Enameling and Stamping Company in McKees Rocks. Chartiers Creek and its watershed, an area that comprises approximately 277 square miles within Washington and Allegheny Counties, begins in Washington County and flows north for about thirty-five to forty miles until it empties into the Ohio River five miles below Pittsburgh near McKees Rocks. Some of its tributaries include, Vance's, Little's, Pollock's, McCorkle's, Kenny's, and Brush Runs. Chartiers Creek, one of the most polluted watersheds in the state of Pennsylvania, derived its name from Peter Chartiers, a Native American interpreter.
The first Children’s Zoo opened in 1949 in Pittsburgh as a result of a grant from the Sarah Mellon Scaife Foundation to the Pittsburgh Zoo. Here children were able to walk on the soft, spongy tongue of a whale or visit a giant piece of cheese that was home to dozens of mice. Later, the original “Mother Goose” theme and accompanying exhibits were considered inappropriate for animal exhibition. In 1986 the Zoo began an interim program to replace the nursery rhyme exhibits with buildings that would adequately house the animals until a new Children’s Zoo could be built. A temporary display, Children’s Farm, opened in 1991 featuring domestic animals and animal care demonstrations. In May 1995, the all-new “Kids Kingdom” opened where even the playground equipment replicates animals’ motion.