Amesteam Boilers in the power plant at the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad repair shop facility. This enormous facility, built by the Trimble Company of Pittsburgh, was used primarily by the Railroad to repair and maintain freight cars and locomotives. The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad operations in Pittsburgh were second only to the Pennsylvania Railroad. As the coal was mined out and the steel industry fell into decline in the 1970s, freight service to and from downtown Pittsburgh ended in 1982. According to figures by the Interstate Commerce Commission, the railroad’s share of freight business in the United States fell from a high of 70 percent in 1946 to less than 40 percent in 1983.